Technical Architect / Senior Technical Consultant with 12-16 years of experence, global role.
This is a hands on DevOps position with a work ratio of 70% coding in Ruby, Python, Go language and 30% Managerial.
The Cloud Operations Engineer will join a devops extreme programming global based team responsible for engineering & supporting various cloud based core services spear heading change within the company. As a senior engineer you will be expected to lead by example through delivering quality, tested functionally rich code that meets the business requirements. As a technology enthusiast you will be a trusted informed champion, able to coach & guide other team members and customers on how best to adopt cloud technologies through cloud native principles.
The role is aligned to be equal within the team with a flat structure and is a full time hands on engineering role featuring everything as code, rolling upgrades and zero downtime services by default. The Cloud Operations Engineer will participate in all areas of support, engineering, planning, testing, development & operations within the team. As a senior engineer you will be expected to have practical experience that can easily be applied to resolving technical challenges together with offering strategic solutions to further improve the service. Through paired programming activities, the role will support the evolution of the AWS platform with an ‘infrastructure as code’ philosophy, ensuring knowledge of best practise techniques are understood. The role will align to industry standard cloud principles, encouraging and support the Delivery teams to use the platform.
• Must ensure the AWS platform remains supportable, flexible & aligned to the original design operative principles.
• Provide 3rd line operational platform support for all AWS services & environments. This will include being able to support & troubleshoot key areas of the AWS stack & will include being a member of the on call 24 * 7 rota.
• The candidate will be expected to get involved in all areas of Cloud Operations, such as inception/pointing/stand-ups etc. taking the initiative to own varied stories across the entire AWS stack through to completion.
• Working closely with other Cloud Engineers, the candidate will be expected to deliver solutions through paired programming activities & test driven development, whilst taking the initiative to champion the mentoring & coaching of others to develop their programming skills & best practise capabilities.
• The role will include the ability to work through the challenge of engineering innovative solutions to a desired automatic immutable end state with other Cloud engineers, reliant on low cost, low maintenance open source technologies (where possible) aligned to the AWS Cloud Product Roadmap as agreed with the AWs Platform Owner.
• The candidate will be expected to keep up to date with the latest news within the AWS community & within their original area of expertise (i.e. networks, virtualisation and development) in terms of strategic roadmap & functionality to further support the AWS Platform Owner in evolving the AWS service.
Experience & Qualifications
• 12-16years of industry experience
• A strong development or infrastructure senior engineer with hands on experience of cloud based security technologies across multiple cloud providers, proficient in at least 3 different languages (ideally Ruby, Go, Python) focusing on delivering services that are loosely coupled, highly scalable & coded to cope with failure at every level.
• Excellent knowledge of creating & managing continuous delivery pipelines enabling continuous integration using test driven development with high coverage in a multi-tenant, full stack Production enterprise cloud configuration where rolling intra-day upgrades are BAU, security & audit requirements are met by default.
• A champion to help guide others on a variety of architectural & strategic initiatives offering pragmatic, cost effective options founded from experience of creating & developing secure enterprise cloud services.
• A responsible engineer who views TDD & software engineering as a ‘craft’ with experience or special interest in ‘infrastructure as code’ through automation & continuous delivery.
• A versatile engineer who has exposure of networking, virtualisation & all aspects of security having deployed to multiple cloud environments using tools like Ansible/Terraform.
• A senior team player who is confident to mentor & train others. Comfortable working at technical & senior exec levels. Eager to share knowledge & extend capabilities into new technologies, delivering solutions to real business problems.
• A trusted advisor who is forward thinking, supportive of successful delivery & achievement comes from collaborative team effort with strong communication skills.
• Must be a self-starter and capable of collaboration across team boundaries in driving issues to conclusion.
• Must have strong influencing skills based on sound judgement, capable of breaking detailed technical complexity into simple components suitable for a wider audience.
• Highly motivated team player, willing to share knowledge & information that forms strong relationships with colleagues with good interpersonal skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
In addition - what makes you stand out from the crowd ?
Besides having an awesome technical skillset -
• Demonstrable strong knowledge of XP
• Proven eagerness for continual personal development through meetups, public speaking, GitHub open source collaboration & own code repos.
• Working knowledge of Layer 2-7 networking principles, load balancers, IP addressing, firewalls & SDNs advantageous.
• Working knowledge of Information Security, Data Privacy & regulatory compliance
key Skills :
Cloud, DevOps, Automation, Go, Ruby, Python, Automation, TDD, AWS Automation, Layer 2-7 networking principles, load balancers, IP addressing, firewalls & SDNs advantageous.